A spouse to ladies within the old global provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of newly-commissioned essays from famous students at the learn of ladies within the historic world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to deal with the research of girls within the old global
• Explores a wide diversity of themes with regards to girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess thought; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the relations, the kingdom, and faith; gown and Adornment; woman Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and lots of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of historic subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions in relation to ladies in antiquity contains contributions from a number of the such a lot widespread students linked to the examine of ladies in antiquity
Selected by way of selection as a 2013 striking educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165) PDF
Best women books
“[A paintings of] wit, knowledge and richness. . . . A grand travel of derangement, from matricide to anorexia. ” —John Leonard, Harper’s
This interesting background of brain medical professionals and their sufferers probes the ways that insanity, badness, and disappointment were understood over the final centuries. Lisa Appignanesi charts a narrative from the times while the mad have been thought of possessed to our personal century whilst the respectable psychiatric guide lists a few 350 psychological problems. ladies play a key position right here, either as patients—among them Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, and Marilyn Monroe—and as therapists.
Controversially, Appignanesi argues that ladies have considerably replaced the character of mind-doctoring, yet within the approach they've got additionally inadvertently highlighted new styles of illness.
British scientific organization Award for the general public figuring out of technological know-how
For additional information, together with a whole record of entries, a beneficiant collection of pattern entries, and extra, stopover at the ladies through the Civil conflict site. ladies throughout the Civil struggle: An Encyclopedia is the 1st A-Z reference paintings to provide a wide ranging presentation of the contributions, achievements, and private tales of yankee ladies in the course of probably the most turbulent eras of the nation's historical past.
The writer investigates the looks of a manner in garments, regarding a knotted mantle worn around the chest, on many Attic stelae of the Roman interval. She means that this kind might be traced to Egyptian roots, and may were fairly linked to a cult of Isis, renowned between prosperous Athenians.
- The Women of the French Salons: 
- Gendered Narrative Subjectivity
- New Challenges For Unicef: Children, Women and Human Rights
- Emmy Noether in Bryn Mawr: Proceedings of a Symposium Sponsored by the Association for Women in Mathematics in Honor of Emmy Noether’s 100th Birthday
Extra resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
The Folletts may not have found life in the Baxter house luxurious, but it surely was more comfortable than their house on Quincy Street. The move seems to have been particularly good for Mary’s father. Charles became increasingly active in the Paul Revere Post of the Grand Army of the Republic and helped to found the Granite Temple of Honor, a local branch of a temperance organization; he was elected to positions of leadership in both organizations and used these ofﬁces to coordinate charitable events for families of Civil War veterans and to speak publicly on behalf of temperance.
On the ﬁrst day of 1885 Mary’s grandfather Daniel Baxter died, and just seven weeks later her fortythree-year-old father abandoned her for the last time, dying suddenly of pneumonia. R. ’’∞∂ During this period, more than ever before, Mary needed her mother’s emotional support, but Lizzie Follett had difﬁculty reassuring her children. No doubt feeling deserted both by her husband and by the father on whom she had repeatedly relied, it was not easy for Lizzie to face the future. ’’ wasn’t money, at least not directly.
An afternoon session ‘‘for men only’’ culminated in the establishment of a Reform Club, and the new members’ zeal was so inspiring that hundreds trying to get into the town hall for Dr. Reynolds’ evening lecture spilled over into a second session in the nearby Orthodox church. ∞ Mary seems to have reacted to the unpredictability of her father’s behavior as children of alcoholics often do: she was forced to grow up quickly and had little contact with other children until adolescence. ≤ Mary might ordinarily have begun her education in Quincy’s public school system, but just at the time she was old enough to attend, the schools were under intense scrutiny.